Uncategorized

BEYOND WASTE – KICK BACK MALARIA PROJECT ORGANISED BY African CIean Up Initiative FOR OVH ENERGY MARKETING LIMITED

BACKGROUND

Based on the mandate to be socially responsible to host communities, OVH Energy Marketing executed a Beyond Waste-Kick Back Malaria Project on Saturday, 18th of November, 2017 at the Open Field, opposite Tego Barrack, Marine Beach.

The Health Outreach organised by African Clean Up Initiative (ACI), an environmental NGO with track record in community service was organized for two of their host communities – Marine Beach and Orisunmibare both in Apapa Local Government, Lagos. The free medical service specially focused on Malaria was targeted mainly at the children and women in these communities.

PROJECT HIGHLIGHT

The event which started from 9am to 3.46pm had over 400 participants from Marine Beach and Orisunmibare with men also in attendance.  The event was duly graced by the leadership and staff of OVH Energy Marketing Limited led by Mrs. Olaposi Williams – CEO, OVH Energy; Dr. GogoMary Oyei – GM, EHSSP, OVH Energy  and Dr. Kenneth Ezeadebor – OVH Energy Medical Advisor .

It was equally graced by Hon. Emmanuel Oputa, Councillor of Apapa-Iganmu LCDA; Chief Dr. Joseph Ogunmola, Baale of Marine; Iyaloja of Marine Beach market;  Mr. Mudashiru Owolabi  and Prince Kehinde Omonisi – Orisunmibare representatives; Mr. Alex Akhigbe – Chief Environmental Officer, ACI; Elvis Umunna – Master of Ceremony; ACI Medical Team and ACI Volunteers.

Free Medical Screening and Drug Dispensation to participants, Distribution of Long Lasting Insecticide Net (LLIN), Refreshment and Entertainment were the key activities executed by ACI for OVH Energy Marketing Limited.

BENEFICIARY

According to community distribution, 85% of the crowd was from Marine Beach and the remaining 15% was from Orisunmibare.

By our record, 279 Children and 153 Adult went through the Malaria screening and drug dispensation exercise. And 400 mosquito nets and food was distributed

SERVICES PROVIDED

The adults had solely malaria screening and drug dispensation aside the food given to some and malaria net.  But the children healthcare services were more intense as they are the most unsuspecting victims.

The following were services provided particularly to children in the community:

* Nutritional Assessment and Deworming – the weights and heights of the children were assessed and matched to standard age-dependent WHO Charts to determine those underweight or malnourished. Free deworming drugs were provided to children who had not been dewormed in the last 3 months.

* Malaria Screening and Treatment, Free Insecticide Treated Nets – the children were screened for Malaria using Rapid Diagnostic Test Kits and those who tested positive for Malaria were treated with Antimalarial drugs in doses appropriate for their age and weight. 400 Insecticide treated nets were also distributed to residents of the community.

* Free Consultation with Doctors – doctors were on hand to take history from the children and their caregivers, examine them and prescribe drugs where necessary. Caregivers with complaints or symptoms of Malaria were referred for testing and subsequent treatment.

* Tetanus Vaccination – after ascertaining the immunization history of the children via their caregivers, children above 5 years were administered booster Tetanus vaccinations as recommended by the World Health Organisation. Signed consent was taken from their parents or caregivers before the vaccines were administered. About 60 children were vaccinated for Tetanus.

* Essential Drugs – our team of pharmacists dispensed dose appropriate drugs as prescribed by Doctors at the outreach. Over 150 children were dewormed and administered vitamin supplements and antibiotics were necessary.

MEDICAL ASSESSMENT

According to our medical team assessment, the most common presenting complaints from the children were Fever, Stomach upset, Diarrhoea and Cough. Malnutrition, Diarrhoea, Upper Respiratory Tract Infection and Malaria